Day 1 - 6/24/2004 - Thursday
- Left Abingdon Maryland at 5:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time.
- Most of Maryland was quite foggy.
- Arrive West Virgina (425 Miles)
- Believe it or not this was my first time ever in West Virginia.
- Stopped at Harpers Ferry. It was too early to visit.
- We saw the courthouse where the infamous John Brown was tried.
- Arrive Virginia (444 Miles)
- We took a scenic detour to travel along the
Blue Ridge Parkway for a while.
- We stopped to see the historic Mabry Mill which
is oft photographed and its image is sometimes appropriated by other
states on postcards (at least according to the sign there).
- Arrive North Carolina (732 Miles)
- Arrive South Carolina (863 Miles)
- We were zooming through the south here without any stops.
A frightening large number of things are covered in kudzu.
- Arrive Georgia (970 Miles)
- We stopped at Atlanta and visited Stone Mountain.
It is this sudden and unexpected huge dome of granite, and into its side
are carved Confederate leaders Davis, Lee, and Jackson.
- Stop for the night in Columbus GA, (1200 Miles).
866 Miles Traveled on Day 1
On to Day 2